Movie theaters aren't moving quickly enough to add gear to show three-dimensional animated features, according to DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg.By Sue Zeidler
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - DreamWorks Animation SKG Chief Executive
Jeffrey Katzenberg on Tuesday said he was disappointed with the pace at
which movie theater chains were moving to deploy digital and 3-D
technology.
"Things haven't progressed as well as I had hoped," Katzenberg told analysts on a quarterly conference call.
"I feel as though things have dragged along, and it's been pretty
disappointing," said Katzenberg, a huge proponent of 3-D films, who has
pledged to make all future films in 3-D at an incremental cost of $15
million per film.
For Dreamworks, which makes about two films a year, that commitment to 3-D amounts to about $30 million per year.
Katzenberg on the conference call said he still believed DreamWorks
will see a good return on its investment based on projected ticket
prices and the number of 3-D screens he is certain will be in the
market by the time his studio's first 3-D film, "Monsters vs. Aliens,"
is released in spring 2009.
"But whether or not it achieves the fullest potential and outside
goals I've set for ourselves and challenged exhibition with, is the
thing up for grabs right now," he said.
We have indicated that we would like to see 5,000 3-D screens
domestically by the time we released 'Monsters vs. Aliens,' but we need
to make sure that major theaters chains are committed to getting these
screens in the next 30 days or it's unlikely we will get all 5,000
screens," said Lew Coleman, Chief Financial Officer for DreamWorks in
an interview.
Katzenberg had hoped by now the Digital Cinema Implementation
Partners, owned by Regal Entertainment Group, Cinemark Holdings Inc and
AMC Entertainment Inc
had reached a $1.1 billion financing deal with Hollywood studios to
deploy cinema digital technology. Once outfitted with digital
projectors, theaters can then add 3-D technology.
The DCIP first hoped to clinch the deal by the fourth quarter of 2007, but various issues prolonged the talks.
Travis Reid, chief executive of DCIP, last month said he hoped to
conclude a deal in the second quarter 2008. Reid declined comment on
Tuesday.
About 4,000 of the 37,000 cinema screens in the United States are
digitally equipped, while a little more than 1,000 screens have 3-D
capability.
Some analysts have cited concerns there will not be enough 3-D
screens to accommodate all the upcoming 3-D titles from Dreamworks and
other studios due out in coming years.
Many in Hollywood look to the success of the 3-D concert movie,
"Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour," which
grossed nearly $30 million in its opening weekend as a template for the
future. Tickets sold for $15.
Once the DCIP digital upgrade starts, it is expected to take about
three years to complete the upgrade of the 14,000 screens of those
theater chains involved.
"In terms of getting the big three on board and actively moving
forward, I feel as though things have dragged along, and it's been
pretty disappointing," Katzenberg said, referring to the movie chains.
"If these guys don't get their act together very quickly in the next
30 days, they're not going to be able to achieve that goal and it will
start to deteriorate quickly. Every week that goes by will be several
hundred less screens that will manage to be rolled out in the
timeframe," he said.
(Reporting by Sue Zeidler; editing by Carol Bishopric)
Copyright Reuters 2008. All rights reserved. Users may
download and print extracts of content from this website for their own
personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution
of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and
the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the
Reuters group of companies around the world.