A suggestion that a quarter of the new spectrum to be auctioned off in 2009 be set aside for free Internet access is among the issues U.S. communications regulators will consider at their December meeting, the agency's chairman said on Wednesday. .WASHINGTON (Reuters)—U.S. communications regulators will consider
a controversial spectrum auction plan for free Internet and new rules
governing disputes between cable operators and programmers at their
December meeting, the agency's chairman said on Wednesday.
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is proposing
that the agency auction off some airwaves, with a mandate that 25
percent be set aside for free Internet.
To address concerns that finding the financing to build out the
spectrum in a tough economic environment would be challenging, the plan
includes a provision requiring the winning bidder to meet benchmarks by
five years, or have the spectrum reclaimed by the agency.
"It will be use it or lose it," said Martin, a Republican whose
chairmanship will likely end when the Obama administration takes office
next month.
The plan also contains a provision to be voted on by the five-member
FCC that any spectrum portion reclaimed be opened up for unlicensed use.
Martin, as he has done in the past, dismissed the concerns of
Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile cell phone unit that the free Internet
component would lead to interference with its adjacent spectrum, for
which it paid $4.2 billion.
He said more protection to prevent technical interference are in
place now than there were for a nearly $20 billion auction earlier this
year, won in large part by Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc. Verizon
Wireless is owned by Verizon Communications Inc and Vodafone Group Plc.
The plan also contains a controversial mandatory filter requirement
for customers under the age of 18 years old, to address concerns about
children getting access to pornography on the Internet.
Free speech advocates say that provision would surely be challenged in court.
A separate auction plan for a different slice of the spectrum, with
a requirement that it be used in coordination with public safety
officials, did not make it onto the December agenda.
Martin said there was no consensus among the commissioners on how to move forward with that plan.
CABLE ISSUES
The cable rules to be considered come as the FCC arbitrates several
disputes between cable companies Time Warner Cable Inc and Comcast
Corp, and content programmers such as NFL Networks.
The disputes involve what tier of service a content provider such as
NFL Networks gets on a cable system and whether there is discrimination
in that process based on other content the cable operator controls.
The proposal would set up a resolution process for such disputes,
giving the FCC six months to evaluate the claims and setting legal
standards for when a programer can reasonably claim discrimination by a
cable company.
Consumers groups lauded that idea.
"The FCC's proposed guidelines will accelerate a clear and
evenhanded resolution of disputes between cable companies and TV
programmers -- this reform should mean more diverse programing and
lower prices for consumers," said Joel Kelsey, a policy analyst for
Consumers Union.
The FCC is also seeking comment on a proposal from Cablevision
Systems Corp related to contracts between broadcasters, other content
providers and cable companies.
It would bar broadcasters and other content providers from demanding
that cable or satellite companies put them on a certain tier, or reach
a minimum number of subscribers, in exchange for being carried by the
cable company.
Cable programmers say these requirements from broadcasters contribute to higher prices for consumers.
(By Kim Dixon, Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Andre Grenon)
© Thomson Reuters 2008. All rights reserved. Users may download
and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and
non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Thomson Reuters
content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without
the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters and its logo are
registered trademarks or trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies
around the world. Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial
Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant
interests.