The Google-Yahoo deal announced in June to share advertising was widely seen as an effort to help fend off Microsoft's efforts to acquire Yahoo, by bringing Yahoo an additional $800 million in annual revenues.WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
Google Inc and
Yahoo Inc have decided to delay implementing a controversial search advertising partnership, Yahoo said on Friday.
"The companies have agreed to a brief delay in implementing this
agreement to continue our ongoing discussions with the [U.S.]
Department of Justice," Yahoo said in a statement. "We have had
discussions with regulators and look forward to responding to their
questions about this agreement."
Google issued a similar statement.
"When we announced our advertising agreement with Yahoo in June we
agreed to delay its implementation until October to give regulators
time to look at the details. As we are still in conversation with the
Department of Justice we have agreed to a brief delay in implementing
the agreement while those discussions continue," the company said.
The delay was expected to last less than a month, a source familiar
with the discussions on the issue told Reuters. "We're still looking at
the time frame of October," the source said.
The deal, which allows Google to sell advertising for some of
Yahoo's online advertising space, is unpopular with advertisers who
fear higher prices. Google's Web-search market share widened to 63
percent in August, while Yahoo dropped to 19.6 percent and Microsoft
Corp slipped to 8.3 percent, according to comScore Inc.
Bob Liodice, president and CEO of the Association of National
Advertisers, said his organization was opposed to the pact. "We're
gratified that Google and Yahoo are delaying," he said.
Google uses an algorithm that aims to match consumers with what it
says are the most appropriate ads, a formula some advertisers find
mysterious and bothersome.
The deal announced in June to share advertising was widely seen as
an effort to help fend off Microsoft's efforts to acquire Yahoo, by
bringing Yahoo an additional $800 million in annual revenues.
An antitrust lawyer, who regularly brings mergers to the Justice
Department, said that the delay was probably not a good sign for Google
and Yahoo.
"It means that they were not going to get a clean bill of health in
time, and perhaps it's much worse than that. They don't want to go
forward and be told that there's potentially a very serious problem
there," said the lawyer.
There had been previously signs that the planned partnership was
running into trouble with the Justice Department, in particular reports
that the agency had brought on board top litigator Sandy Litvack to
work on the deal.
Litvack was the department's antitrust chief under former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and Walt Disney Co's former vice chairman.
Google has argued the tie-up means Google and Yahoo could work
together to improve the chances that consumers will be more likely to
get ads for products they will want to buy -- thus giving advertisers
more bang for their buck. It has also said that since it sells its
advertisements by auction that it has little control over prices.
(Reporting by Diane Bartz; Editing by Tim Dobbyn, Leslie Gevirtz)
© Thomson Reuters 2008 All rights reserved